Friday, April 1, 2011

Track Meet

We volunteered at the San Pedro High School intramural track meet.  Since, I’ve gotten really involved with the track and field team.  I talked with the coaches about working at the running store (Omega Sports).  I had a running singlet that really captured their eyes so I am going to try and see what we can do for the school down here.  The coaches asked me to travel with the team to the regional track meet in Orange Walk.  I was more than happy to take their offer.  

We took a water taxi to Belize City and caught a bus from there to Orange Walk.  The journey took about 3 hours.  Orange Walk is very different from San Pedro.  It is much smaller, more spread out, and definitely more rural.  Everything was easily half-price there compared with here on the island.  I think I spend $17 BZ between Thursday night and Friday.  The athletes from SPHS are extremely talented.  All of them ran, threw, or jumped in multiple events.  From the regional meet we took home 50 medals. 

The kids run barefoot and in random clothing on a 300m grass track.  If they had the proper gear, they’d be even better.  They are very young with few seniors but they train very hard.  Last year, only three or four of them went to the regional meet.  They’ve really turned the program around.  This year 35 students went to the regional meet.  Orange Walk is even hotter than San Pedro.  After being at the track from 7:30 to 5:30, I walked away with a nice tank top tan. 

Next weekend, I will be attending Nationals!!

No comments:

Post a Comment